Skip to main content

A New Portrait

(Part 3)

This is where I left off in Part 2:

I don't even know how I arrived at this point.
Psyching myself up, dancing in place. It's time to mix skin tones. I want a pile of light and a pile of dark on my palette. Yellow Ocher + Cadmium Red + Titanium White = light skin areas. Yellow Ocher + Cadmium Red + Ultramarine Blue = dark skin areas. I'm showing my palette below but with this disclaimer: I do not actually know the names of half of my paints because their labels fell off. I just roll with it.

Mixing unidentified paints is my version of living on the edge.
Below, is my focus area today. I rough in some clouds and perform corrective surgery on the shoulders. (I could spend all day painting clouds and if I let myself, I could procrastinate and avoid tackling the facial features, but the sky is not the point of this painting.)
Placing highlights on the face. At this point, the figure could be anyone.
I alternate placing light areas and dark areas on the face and hair. It is a bit unnerving when the painting starts to stare at you. Frances' eyes were close set, she had a prominent brow bone, and a distinctive nose she inherited from her German father. Her features were asymmetrical. This is the real challenge for me, to make her look "correct" to me, yet believable to the viewer.
Below, showing some underpainting of brighter colors in the hair. The building of thin layers is what I actually enjoy. When you put that last layer on, it starts to sing and then you know you're done. By the way, I'm not done.
Frances was famous for her red hair that she swore she didn't dye.
Time to quit before I mess up everything. I spend as much time looking as I do applying paint. I probably remove a third of the paint I apply. It's bonkers.

If she looks a bit manly at the moment, there is a reason for that.

My grandmother was not a beautiful woman. She was what people called "handsome" in the Victorian sense: well-groomed, well-dressed, with a strong presence, the kind of woman whose shoes and bag were perfectly matched to her tailored suit. When she wasn't dressed to the nines on the way to lunch at the Officer's Club, to church or to the opera, she was gardening and dressed like a yard man. She was a walking contradiction, she was authentic, and that was one of the things I loved about her.

I have a lot of work left to do regarding her likeness. All told, it's only been a few hours from start to finish. A portrait may take a month with short sittings like these. I'm grateful for the time I get and try to make the time really count.
Quit now, before I do something stupid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Practice makes better" is what we tell the five-year-old. When the child is older, I will explain (and repeat) the 10,000-hours-towards-mastery concept. I don't believe in Perfection. Mastery allows for experimentation to continue and recognizes two important things: the time one must invest in order to improve and that failure is a necessary part of achieving success. Portrait painting has been the most difficult thing I've attempted. It's positively baffling to me. I can't work from one photo. Working from life is ideal, but my current subject (my grandmother) is no longer living. A wall of photos of a person from different angles, different decades (like I'm some sort of stalker) is better for me simply because a single photo rarely captures a personality.* I believe a painting of someone can express who a person truly is by combining impressions from many, many moments. *Of course there are master photographers who CAN capture the essence of
Commissions are interesting endeavors. A bespoke painting often means an artist is asked to create something quite different from their regular body of work. It pushes us a bit outside ourselves. Without fail I find it refreshing and deeply rewarding. Some artists specialize in pet portraits. I enjoy doing figure studies and portraits of people but until now I had not painted anyone's pet. "Gizmo" is the Maltese-Yorkie companion of Katie Ruth Williams. And like many diminutive creatures, his personality can barely be contained. This bite-sized Napoleon strives to rule the household. I can't say how successful he is at that but I do know Gizmo is loved. Such a subject deserves a portrait. I wanted Gizmo's likeness to be larger than life—more than double his size—and grand as an Elvis on velvet. Thanks to snapshots by his adoring family, I had plenty of references from which to work. This piece was pure joy. I look forward to many others. "Gizmo&
A New Portrait Ever since my grandmother Frances passed away I have been thinking about her portrait. I knew I would do one at some point when I felt ready. Ready in this instance means that she stopped appearing in my dreams. It has been a year since I've seen her while I've slept. People look different in heaven. It skews my ability to represent them as they were before. I'm not trying to weird you out, it's simply how it is with me. It is impossible to show how I go about this portrait without revealing quite a bit about Frances, and of course, myself as well.  Tant pis.  We'll try to bear it. I will post photographs at the end of a painting session to show progress with some mention of the decisions made along the way. It is my hope to demonstrate the mental exercises an artist goes through, a few practical techniques of putting paint down, but most of all, the amount of time it takes to create something in paint. I chose my panel back in the summer. I