Skip to main content
A Painter's Responsibility

Shell Seeker
I have had a few painting instructors and each one has told me what they do with the paint left on their palettes. Some seal it in a container so that it doesn't dry out. Some guiltily confess to discarding it. The habit I prefer is one I learned from my friend and painter Catharine. When she is finished for the day she applies the paint to a panel for that singular purpose and when it is full, or done, or however you wish to qualify it, she shows it.

I have purchased one of these paintings of hers and I confess, even though I own one of her lovely figurative oil paintings as well as a reclining pregnant nude sculpture she made that is quite excellent, her painting below is a favorite of mine. Is it actually art, you ask? Well, I guarantee she applied the paint with intent. How could she not? The result is a lovely study in texture and color. It has so much texture, in fact, I decided to frame it under glass because I was concerned about the accumulation of dust over the years.

Textured painting by Catharine Liles
So what does all of this have to do with my painting posted at the top? The child with the bucket was painted yesterday afternoon. The background, the canvas, is the accumulation of many sessions worth of paint that did not make it onto a painting--until now. Any leftover paint was applied to this one canvas. When you think about the resources required to produce paint in addition to the plastic containers the paint goes in, and how frustrating it can be to "properly" dispose of paint (whatever THAT means) you begin to realize the responsibility you have for what is left on your palette.

The canvas had developed a lovely thick surface. I would sand it a bit to expose some layers underneath. Last Friday, I glanced at the canvas which was on the floor propped against the wall and I immediately saw wet sand and a darkening sky over an ocean. My mind flashed to last year's vacation at Pawleys Island and all the hours my then 3 year old spent collecting shells. Bingo. I drew her in pencil on paper. Using that as my visual guide, I then painted her on the canvas with a liner brush.

I like that she has her left foot planted and the other is lifted as she begins to move forward. Toddlers have a bit of a swagger. Her eyes are intent on the sand as she looks for shells. I also like that she seems to float in the space. This is what it is like for me to watch her. Everything else falls away and I am quite in awe that she is mine.

Popular posts from this blog

"Practice makes better" is what we tell the five-year-old. When the child is older, I will explain (and repeat) the 10,000-hours-towards-mastery concept. I don't believe in Perfection. Mastery allows for experimentation to continue and recognizes two important things: the time one must invest in order to improve and that failure is a necessary part of achieving success. Portrait painting has been the most difficult thing I've attempted. It's positively baffling to me. I can't work from one photo. Working from life is ideal, but my current subject (my grandmother) is no longer living. A wall of photos of a person from different angles, different decades (like I'm some sort of stalker) is better for me simply because a single photo rarely captures a personality.* I believe a painting of someone can express who a person truly is by combining impressions from many, many moments. *Of course there are master photographers who CAN capture the essence of
Commissions are interesting endeavors. A bespoke painting often means an artist is asked to create something quite different from their regular body of work. It pushes us a bit outside ourselves. Without fail I find it refreshing and deeply rewarding. Some artists specialize in pet portraits. I enjoy doing figure studies and portraits of people but until now I had not painted anyone's pet. "Gizmo" is the Maltese-Yorkie companion of Katie Ruth Williams. And like many diminutive creatures, his personality can barely be contained. This bite-sized Napoleon strives to rule the household. I can't say how successful he is at that but I do know Gizmo is loved. Such a subject deserves a portrait. I wanted Gizmo's likeness to be larger than life—more than double his size—and grand as an Elvis on velvet. Thanks to snapshots by his adoring family, I had plenty of references from which to work. This piece was pure joy. I look forward to many others. "Gizmo&
A New Portrait Ever since my grandmother Frances passed away I have been thinking about her portrait. I knew I would do one at some point when I felt ready. Ready in this instance means that she stopped appearing in my dreams. It has been a year since I've seen her while I've slept. People look different in heaven. It skews my ability to represent them as they were before. I'm not trying to weird you out, it's simply how it is with me. It is impossible to show how I go about this portrait without revealing quite a bit about Frances, and of course, myself as well.  Tant pis.  We'll try to bear it. I will post photographs at the end of a painting session to show progress with some mention of the decisions made along the way. It is my hope to demonstrate the mental exercises an artist goes through, a few practical techniques of putting paint down, but most of all, the amount of time it takes to create something in paint. I chose my panel back in the summer. I